About the Parish
The Parish of Ireby & Uldale covers the areas of Ireby, High Ireby, Uldale, Aughertree and Ruthwaite.
Ireby is a village in Cumbria with a population of over 300. Ireby forms part of the civil parish of Ireby and Uldale; for local government purposes it is in the ward of Boltons, under the authority of Allerdale Borough Council. It is located above the river Ellen, just outside the Lake District National Park. It was granted a market charter in 1237, which was later lost to Cockermouth. Ireby has two village halls, the main Globe Hall and the smaller WI Hall. In 1858 there were four public houses. The Sun Inn was a haunt of John Peel but is now closed. Emily’s Black Lion is now the only public house which remains in Ireby. Ireby has a music festival attracting a wide range of popular musicians and capacity audiences.
The name Ireby is derived from old Norse and means farmstead or village of the Irishman or Irishmen. Ireby was originally two manors one called High Ireby because of its position and the other known previously as Nether Ireby, Market Ireby, Ireby Base and Low Ireby.
High Ireby – The de Ireby family held the manor for several generations. By the 15th century the manor was owned by the Barwise family. In 1829 Sir Frederick Fletcher Vane owned High Ireby and Ruthwaite.
Low Ireby – William de Ireby was granted the right to hold a fair and a market in 1236 and in 1275 a market cross was erected. By 1847 the market cross was restored by Henry Grainger of High Ireby Grange.
More information on the history of Ireby can be found in the book IREBY by Maureen Allen (ISBN 0 9526049 3 0)
Uldale is a small village in Cumbria of the northern edge of the Lake District National Park. It is about five miles from Caldbeck and two miles from Ireby with which it forms the civil parish of Ireby & Uldale. The Uldale Fells are in the vicinity, and to the southeast is Chapelhouse Reservoir and Overwater. St. James Church is located one mile outside Uldale and half a mile from Ireby. It has Grade II listing. The Old School was opened in 1895 but closed in later years and transformed into Mae’s tea rooms, restaurant and gallery. There is a Public House the Snooty Fox in the village which serves bar meals.